Gwaii Communications’ Acceptable Use Policy
This Acceptable Use Policy document, including the following list of Prohibited Activities, is an integral part of your Hosting Agreement with Gwaii Communications. If you engage in any of the activities prohibited by this AUP document Gwaii Communications may suspend or terminate your account.
Gwaii Communications’ Acceptable Use Policy (the “Policy”) for its services is designed to help protect Gwaii Communications and its customers and the Internet community in general from irresponsible or, in some cases, illegal activities. The Policy is a non-exclusive list of the actions prohibited by Gwaii Communications. Gwaii Communications reserves the right to modify the Policy at any time, effective upon posting
Prohibited Uses of Gwaii Communications systems and services:
1. Transmission, distribution or storage of any material in violation of any applicable law or regulation is prohibited. This includes, without limitation, material protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right used without proper authorization, and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes an illegal threat, or violates export control laws.
2. Sending Unsolicited Bulk Email (“UBE”, “spam”). The sending of any form of Unsolicited Bulk Email through Gwaii Communications’ servers is prohibited. Likewise, the sending of UBE from another service provider advertising a web site, email address or utilizing any resource hosted on Gwaii Communications’ servers, is prohibited. Gwaii Communications accounts or services may not be used to solicit customers from, or collect replies to, messages sent from another Internet Service Provider where those messages violate this Policy or that of the other provider.
3. Running Unconfirmed Mailing Lists. Subscribing email addresses to any mailing list without the express and verifiable permission of the email address owner is prohibited. All mailing lists run by Gwaii Communications’ customers must be closed-loop (“Confirmed Opt-in”). The subscription confirmation message received from each address owner must be kept on file for the duration of the existence of the mailing list. Purchasing lists of email addresses from 3rd parties for mailing to from any Gwaii Communications-hosted domain, or referencing any Gwaii Communications account, is prohibited.
4. Advertising, transmitting, or otherwise making available any software, program, product, or service that is designed to violate this AUP or the AUP of any other Internet Service Provider, which includes, but is not limited to, the facilitation of the means to send Unsolicited Bulk Email, initiation of pinging, flooding, mail-bombing, denial of service attacks.
5. Operating an account on behalf of, or in connection with, or reselling any service to, persons or firms listed in the Spamhaus Register of Known Spam Operations (ROKSO) database at www.spamhaus.org.
6. Unauthorized attempts by a user to gain access to any account or computer resource not belonging to that user (e.g., “cracking”).
7. Obtaining or attempting to obtain service by any means or device with intent to avoid payment.
8. Unauthorized access, alteration, destruction, or any attempt thereof, of any information of any Gwaii Communications’ customers or end-users by any means or device.
9. Knowingly engage in any activities designed to harass, or that will cause a denial-of-service (e.g., synchronized number sequence attacks) to any other user whether on the Gwaii Communications network or on another provider’s network.
10. Using Gwaii Communications’ services to interfere with the use of the Gwaii Communications network by other customers or authorized users.
11. Gwaii Communications’ signal quality monitoring: Gwaii Communications will monitor signal quality and make adjustments to both the transmission equipment (access points) and the customer’s premise equipment (cpe) to the benefit of the network. Gwaii Communications reserves the right to update the customer’s cpe to the latest firmware for the benefit of the network. Gwaii Communications reserves the right to re-point the customer’s cpe for better alignment and/or to connect to a different access point for the benefit of the network.
12. Customer Responsibility for Customer Users
Each Gwaii Communications customer is responsible for the activities of its users and, by accepting service from Gwaii Communications, is agreeing to ensure that its customers/representatives or end-users abide by this Policy. Complaints about customers/representatives or end-users of a Gwaii Communications customer will be forwarded to the Gwaii Communications customer’s postmaster for action. If violations of the Gwaii Communications Acceptable Use Policy occur, Gwaii Communications reserves the right to terminate services with or take action to stop the offending customer from violating Gwaii Communications’ AUP as Gwaii Communications deems appropriate, without notice.
13. Traffic Utilization: Package subscriptions are subject to suspension should billable traffic exceed double the subscribed package. Subscribers are strongly encouraged to visit our individual usage page to monitor their daily utilization. This automated suspension system was designed to help prevent computers with run-away virus or run-away Person to Person File sharing programs from generating the subscriber unexpected and undesired costs. Please see our rates page for various package sizes and excess fees. Accounts are automatically suspended, but can be re-activated quickly once the subscriber confirms that they are aware of the excess traffic generated from their connection.